Friday, September 19, 2008

Lessons learned from Hurricane Ike

We always hear that you need to be prepared for hurricane or any other natural disaster that might befall yourself or your family. I to have had that voice in the back of my head that said "Heed the warnings and make sure you are ready for the worse,". That voice must not have been loud enough for me to hear clearly enough to become prepared. Luckily, Hurricane Ike did not damage my house severely and we were able to seek shelter in Austin from Hurricane Ike, but I could have planned better to have certain items such as an emergency fund or equipment that would have helped us cope with the results left by Hurrican Ike.

I do want to thank God for blessing my family and home with safe-keeping before, during and after the hurricane. The message of being prepared for a natural disaster is not just meant for your personal life, but also for businesses. Everyone needs to have that backup plan that will always allow you to get back on top of your mountain of success that you have established whether that be personal or professional.

My advice after making through Hurrican Ike okay are to next have these items taking care of prior to the next natural disaster:
1) Have all insurance coverages in order (had this one)
2) Have emergency cash set away
3) Have emergency survival items readily available
4) Have multiple evacuation plans for different storm scenarios that could occur

Everyone needs to have these items taking care of because no matter where you live Mother Nature has many different pitches that she can throw. I will be ready next time, but will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment